Thursday, April 11, 2013

#30DaysofScooting: Scooting in Seattle


Today I have a lunch appointment in Seattle and I also need to pick up some handlebars to replace the bent ones on an old Raleigh I'm restoring. I fold my trusty scooter and hop on the 554 bus to Seattle. I could've grabbed a connecting bus in downtown Seattle, but it's more fun to scoot. And I get to stop and take pictures.


My meeting is on the east side of Lake Union and I'm a bit early, so I look at some boats...


And birds...


And some floating condos.


It's a nice spring day and the flowers are blooming.


The trees are in bloom as well.


I'm not sure what's up with the fish-with-feet art.


The old garden bike is also art.




This is just one of the many community gardens in Seattle.


This big old tree is right alongside busy Eastlake Avenue.


After my lunch meeting, I cross over the bridge and head to Recycled Cycles. As I'm rolling towards Recycled, a fellow on a bike stops and asks "Are you Kent?" I confess that I am. "I recognize the scooter. I read your blog!" "Thanks," I say.



Recycled Cycles has a pretty good stash of parts, not quite as good as Bike Works, but Bike Works is on the other end of town. They have the bars I need at a very good price. They also have some very nice used bikes.


If anybody is looking for a tiny road bike (like for a kid or a REALLY small adult) they have this super sweet Trek with a tiny frame and 24" wheels right now for $400. Good tiny bikes are rare and this is a nice deal.


My missions accomplished, I scoot back downtown and catch the bus for home. Eight miles of scooting today.

Keep 'em rolling,

Kent "Mountain Turtle" Peterson
Issaquah, WA USA

2 comments:

Divers and Sundry said...

"Good tiny bikes are rare"

when i decided to buy a bike, i thought it would be easy. no such luck. kids' bikes didn't work, and i felt uncomfortable perched so high on the 26" bikes. i ended up with an electra townie. i feel safer able to touch the ground so easily.

i'm enjoying the scooter series. i'm thinking i might feel even safer on a scooter.

Anonymous said...

I'm enjoying my large KickPed, the new arrival. I'm learning it, but have to say I'd like another two, maybe three inches of wheelbase. Maybe. I'm six feet tall and long-legged, size 11.5 shoe,skinny relatively short of torso and arms, but not a total Dr. Seuss character. Really. I used to blame TREK and Specialized for my situation; for some time now it's mostly been on my parents.