Wednesday, April 18, 2012

#30DaysofBiking: The Path and the Plateau


We have a lot of paths here in Issaquah and soon the path that is the best way under the freeway will be closed for paving. Last year they paved the northern part of this trail in Redmond and this year the Issaquah end is getting a layer of asphalt. So far, the section of the trail that is in Sammamish, along the lake shore, remains fine gravel.






Today I turned east at SE 43rd and rode up the Plateau. While many of the mountains here have names (Tiger, Squak, Cougar, etc.) the Plateau has always been just called the Plateau for as long as I've been here. As a youth my first exposure to the word "Plateau" came from Arthur Conan Doyle's book "The Lost World" To this day I expect the upper reaches of plateaus to be populated by dinosaurs. I tend to be disappointed by what I actually find on the plateaus.




OK, the sign promising "Monster Yards" got my hopes up, but all the yards I saw just had grass. A few had swing sets. None had monsters.


I rolled down from the plateau and returned to the path by the lake.


One of the smaller yards is trying to grow their own dinosaur.


The people who got stuck with this crummy, non-level lot built a little shack on it.


They do have a nice view of the water. The view from the bike path is almost as good.

11 miles for the day.

Keep 'em rolling,

Kent "Mountain Turtle" Peterson
Issaquah WA USA

3 comments:

David Gaible said...

Ha! I want a Monster Yard! Also, with riding up the Plateau you could have added 'Pain'.
Enjoy the sun!

Anonymous said...

There is a dinosaur along the BG in Fremont; sorry no plateau.
Donna

mrk. said...

I want a yard monster.