Friday, November 28, 2008

2008 Turkey Burner


It was raining more often than not and if we were each left to our own devices we'd probably have stayed home. But the traditional ride on the day after Thanksgiving is, well, it's a tradition, and Matt, Mark and I had fenders on our bikes and snacks in our bags so we went out and east and up. We rode on nearly as many trails as roads and on at least one road, the road that went along the middle fork of the Snoqualmie River, that seemed intent on being more like a trail than a road. We talked and we rode and we rode until Mark declared that this was the spot to stop and snack so we stopped and snacked.


And then we rode home. We passed by steel-head fishers on Fish Hatchery Road and wondered if they were having luck. I commented that I was sure they were having some kind of luck, the sport is called fishing after all and not catching. Matt observed that we were having similar luck, our sport is called riding, not getting somewhere.



Sixtyfour miles doesn't burn off a whole turkey but it's a start.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Two questions about the gear pictured on the moving rider: 1) Who makes the booties on the rider in the photo? They seems quite reflective compared to many "plain" booties on the market. 2) Who makes the cages for those slick klean kanteen water bottles? Are they effective cages, some people have complained that the stainless water bottle are more prone to just fall out over rough terrain.

Anonymous said...

I think the cages are King Cage Iris cages that were cinched down a bit. That is Mark Vande Kamp's bike, you might email and ask to double check.

Sorry I missed this one. I had fun riding into a headwind on my cycle truck and then getting pushed all the way home by a massive tailwind. 20 miles on the cycle truck burns off more turkey (or risotto in my case) than 20 miles on my normal bike, but it isn't 64 miles.

Mark Vande Kamp said...

The booties are from MEC in canada. I can't get their page to come up right now, but I bought them maybe 7 years ago so I'm not sure the current ones are the same. They are an excellent piece of gear. The cages are actually a copy of the King design and can be found under several names including Velo Orange. They bend easily to hold the bottles securely. I've ridden some pretty rough roads and never had one come out (except once after it was bent open to use a standard bottle and I forgot to bend it back).

Mark